There are two different grading systems, depending upon whether you are considering whole leaf teas or broken leaf teas.
Grades for whole leaf teas:
- FOP - Flowery Orange Pekoe - Bud and first two leaves
- GFOP - Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe - FOP with golden tips (the ends of the buds)
- TGFOP - Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe - FOP with many golden tips
- FTGFOP - Finest Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe is considered the highest quality example of this type medium leaf tea
- SFTGFOP - Special Finest Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe is considered the highest quality example of this smaller leaf tea
- OP - Orange Pekoe - Long, pointed leaves (after the bud has opened) that are larger than FOP.- Pekoe - Shorter and coarser leaves than OP.- Flowery Pekoe - Leaves that are shorter and coarser than OP and are rolled.- Souchong - These large leaves are rolled lengthwise, creating coarse, ragged pieces.
Broken leaf teas are graded from largest to smallest in this way:- GFBOP - Golden Flowery Broken Orange Pekoe- GBOP - Golden Broken Orange Pekoe- TGBOP - Tippy Golden Broken Orange Pekoe- TFBOP - Tippy Flowery Broken Orange Pekoe- TGFBOP - Tippy Golden Flowery Broken Orange Pekoe- FBOP - Flowery Broken Orange Pekoe- BOP - Broken Orange Pekoe- BP - Broken Pekoe- BPS - Broken Pekoe Souchong- Fannings/Dust - finest siftings